Make Frenemies, Support Validators
We are excited to announce the launch of Frenemies, a game that lets players test staking functionality on Sui Testnet Wave 2. In Frenemies, players stake tokens to support their assigned validator, and compete to see who can top the leaderboard. Up for grabs are 2,000 allowlist spots for the Sui Community Access Program (subject to the program’s eligibility terms and conditions).
We designed the game to be fun and competitive, while also providing valuable insights into staking functionality. By participating in Frenemies, players learn about the mechanics of staking, and help improve the overall security and stability of Sui. To get started simply connect your wallet and stake tokens according to your assigned validator and role. Each round players will be randomly assigned one of 41 validators, as well as a role: Friend, Neutral, or Enemy.
How to Play
The Frenemies rules are simple. Players receive 10 points if they accomplish their assigned objective, which involves helping increase or decrease their assigned validators leaderboard position through staking on Testnet Wave 2 during an epoch. Players receive an additional point for every leaderboard spot their assigned validator moves.
For example, if you are assigned the Friend role to Validator A, and Validator A moves from 20th place to 1st place at the completion of the epoch, you receive 29 points (10 for accomplishing your objective, and 19 for moving Validator A from 20th place to 1st place). Players accrue points each epoch, and at the end of Testnet Wave 2 each of the top 2,000 participants will receive one allowlist spot.
As Frenemies’ purpose is to help test Sui’s tokenomics mechanisms and validators, it will only remain live for the duration of Testnet Wave 2. Following Wave 2, Mysten Labs will apply its learnings from Frenemies to continue improving the security and stability of Sui in preparation for Mainnet.
Whether you're an experienced community member on Sui or a newcomer to the space, Frenemies is the perfect way to learn about staking mechanics while contributing to the community. So what are you waiting for?
Sign up today and compete in Frenemies!
- Q: How are validator / role assignments chosen?
- A: Each round you receive a random validator assignments. Role assignments rotate from Friend, to Neutral, to Enemy. Role assignments are made sequentially rather than randomly to ensure that there are approximately equal numbers of Friends, Neutrals, and Enemies each round.
- Q: Why do I have to approve two transactions to stake SUI?
- A: Right now two transactions are required to perform a staking function. The first transaction batches the selected amount of SUI from your balance, and the second transaction submits a staking request to the network.
- Q: I completed a round and nothing happened / I connected my wallet and nothing happened?
- A: In order to join a round you must press "Play Round X" in the top right corner of frenemies.sui.io. When you press "Play Round X" you will be asked to sign a free transaction to join the round.
- Q: I connected my wallet, so why can't I join a round / why am I not able to sign up for Frenemies?
- A: Please ensure you have SUI tokens in your wallet before joining a round. You can request tokens from the faucet in Discord.
- Q: Can I only stake tokens to the validator I'm assigned?
- A: No, players can stake any validator, regardless of your role or assigned validator. For example if you're assigned Neutral or Enemy, the best strategy is often to stake a different validator than the one you're assigned in order to nudge their rank on the leaderboard
- Q: How is the score calculated?
- A: Players get 10 points for completing their assigned objective (ie, if your role is 'Friend' then you get 10 points if your validator finishes in the top third) + 1 additional point for each rank your validator gained during the round (ie, if your validator moved from 10th to 1st you would get an additional 9 points)
- Q: Why does Frenemies freeze at the end / beginning of a new round / epoch?
- A: At epoch boundaries it can take up to a few minutes for validators to initiate a new epoch. During that time, Frenemies is waiting for updated epoch information, and will automatically refresh data as soon as the new epoch begins.
- Q: How can I add more staked tokens to a validator after I already staked?
- A: Unstake your currently staked tokens, and then stake again with the new amount.
Frenemies Game Terms and Conditions
The Frenemies game is offered by Mysten Labs to residents of countries where such games are allowed by the laws of those countries. To be eligible to participate in the game you must be of the age of majority in your jurisdiction of residence. Employees and directors of Mysten Labs, its advertising and promotion agencies, the game judges and its legal advisors, and the immediate family (parent, child, sibling, and spouse of each) or members of the households of such employees and directors are not eligible to participate in the game. No purchase or payment of any consideration is necessary to enter the game. By entering in the game you agree to these terms. The game is null and void in any jurisdiction where prohibited by law.
Eligibility for rewards are subject to applicable law, “know your customer,” and sanctions compliance requirements, and may be contingent upon providing certain identifying and related information about you and your organization. U.S. citizens and residents may play the game, but are ineligible to receive invitations to the SUI Token Community Access Program.
Mysten Labs reserves the right in its sole discretion to terminate the game in whole or in part at any time without prior notice, and to block any participant’s access to the game or rewards. We may change or modify the amounts or types of rewards and/or discontinue, or terminate, temporarily or permanently, all or any part of the rewards program at any time and without notice, and we may remove or re-allocate any rewards earned by any participant or elect not to provide any rewards to any participant. We reserve the right, at our sole discretion, to disqualify any individual we find to be acting in violation of these terms, to be acting in an unethical or disruptive matter, or with intent to annoy, abuse, threaten or harass any other person, as we determine in our sole discretion.
You are responsible for the payment of all taxes associated with your receipt of any rewards. You agree to provide us with any additional information and complete any required tax or other forms relating to your receipt of such rewards.